Multi-factor Authentication (MFA) Multi-factor authentication (MFA), also referred to as two factor authentication (2FA) adds an extra layer of security when accessing some online services. You may already use a form of MFA for online banking or to access your personal email account. At Queen Mary, authentication requires a username and password. As a second factor, for some applications when outside the Queen Mary network, you will use an authenticator app on your mobile or tablet which will generate a one-time code.
To setup Multi Factor Authentication you will need a mobile or tablet and a computer away from the Queen Mary network. Follow the instructions below to 'How to enrol for Office 365 Multi-Factor Authentication'. The instructions are also available to download MFA Instructions [PDF 700KB] Once setup - MyHR https://myhr.qmul.ac.uk/ can be accessed via a web browser on any device (phone/tablet/pc etc.)
How to enrol for Office 365 Multi-Factor Authentication
On a mobile or tablet:
- Download the Microsoft Authenticator app from Google Play store or Apple App Store
On your desktop/laptop computer away from the Queen Mary network:
- Open a web browser
- Go to https://mail.qmul.ac.uk and login
- Click to open ‘Launcher’ (circled in the image below)
- Click 'MyHR'
- You will be redirected to the MFA setup page
- If presented with the option click ‘Set it up now'
- Choose for your second factor of authentication:
The mobile Authenticator app with push notifications
- Choose the option shown in the following screenshot
Back to your mobile or tablet:
- Open the Authenticator app
- Depending on your device you may be asked to allow access to your mobile’s camera, accept by clicking ‘OK’
- If prompted select ‘Add account’
- Next select ‘Work or school account’
- The app will switch to the QR code scanning mode, please scan the code displayed in your browser.
- Once the basic set up has finished you will be asked to verify it by accepting the first notification in the app. Click ‘Approve’
- The following screen will appear
- In addition you will be asked to provide an alternative phone number for verification in case you lose access to the app (lose/wipe your mobile device, etc.) Microsoft promises to only use your phone for verification and not for any marketing purposes.
The app is now configured. You have secure access to MyHR
This second factor authentication token is stored throughout your session, you should only be prompted for it again if you:
- Sign out
- Re-launch your browser
- Re-launch MyHR
- Completely close / stop the mobile app and re-open it
Enrolment is Complete!
The next time you login to a Queen Mary service using MFA, your device will be remembered and access given with one tap
Now MFA has been setup - MyHR can be accessed via a web browser on any device (phone/tablet/pc etc.)