Multi-factor Authentication (MFA), also referred to as two factor authentication (2FA), adds an extra layer of security when accessing some online services. You may already use some form of MFA for online banking or to access your personal email account.
At Queen Mary, authentication requires a username and password.Some of our secure applications also require two factor verification (2FA) when accessed from outside the Queen Mary network e.g. MYHR, Worktribe, appsanywhere. You can use your Mobile phone number, Authenticator app or personal Email as an authenticator method.
The instructions are also available to download MFA Instructions [PDF 620KB]
How to enrol for Office 365 Multi-Factor Authentication
On your desktop/laptop computer :
- Open a web browser on your PC or Tablet.
- Go to http://sspr.qmul.ac.uk
- Enter your Queen Mary user name followed by ‘@qmul.ac.uk’ then click Next.
- Enter your password and click Sign in.
Once logged in you will see your SSPR profile. This is where you choose your method of authentication. Go to the Security info tab and Add method. We recommend you use Phone, this is easiest to configure and use.
Method 1: Using Phone
- Choose the option Phone from drop down list.
- Click Add.
- Select the Country and enter your mobile phone number.
- Select Text me a code (or Call me), then follow the instructions to verify your phone number and complete the set up
- Click Next, you will receive verification code via text message on your mobile phone.
- Enter the Verification code then select Next
- Click Done to complete the registration process.
Method 2: Usining Authenticator App
- Choose the option Athentictor App shown in the following screenshot in your browser.
- click Add
Now Install the Authenticator App on your phone. For Apple devices go to the App Store and for Android devices go to the Play store, search Microsoft Authenticator.
- Once the app is installed on your Phone click Next on your browser.
- Click Next.This will produce a QR code for your App to scan.
Back to your mobile or tablet:
- Open the Authenticator app you have installed.
- Depending on your device you may be asked to allow access to your mobile’s camera, accept by clicking OK
- If prompted select ‘Add account’
- Next select ‘Work or school account’
- The app will switch to the QR code scanning mode, please scan the code displayed in your browser.
- Click Next.
- Once the basic set up has finished you will be asked to verify it by accepting the first notification in the app. Click ‘Approve’ and Click Next on your browser.
- The following screen will appear and click Next to complete the set up.
This second factor authentication token is stored throughout your session, you should only be prompted for it again if you:
- Sign out
- Re-launch your browser
- Completely close / stop the mobile app and re-open it
Enrolment is Complete!