We supply all staff with an email address which is the address that QMUL will normally use to communicate with you. Our email service is provided by Microsoft Office 365, which offers 50GB of mail storage, QMUL-wide shared calendaring system, and access from mobile devices.
You can read and send email through the webmail client at https://mail.qmul.ac.uk but we recommend setting up your computer, tablet or phone to connect to the email service. Managed MS Windows computers supplied by IT Services will automatically connect your MS Outlook client to our email service.
Webmail (Outlook Web App)
To check your email online, go to: https://mail.qmul.ac.uk
Setting up email
- Apple devices
- Android devices
- Windows phone
- Outlook 2007 and 2010
- Outlook 2011 for Mac
- Mac Mail OS X 10.6 or earlier
- Mac Mail OS X 10.7 or later
- Other IMAP clients
Getting the most out of Office 365
Visit out email support pages to learn more about the features available in Office 365, including using the scheduling assistant for meeting invites, delegating calendars and creating automatic Out of Office messages.
We provide ‘Sympa’ for staff, which is a tool anyone can use to create and manage email discussion and distribution lists. You are already likely to find yourself on several lists, and there are many other mailings lists within Queen Mary which you may choose to join. Go to: www.lists.qmul.ac.uk/
Junk and other unwanted email
It is good practice to regularly check your Junk Email folder for emails that have incorrectly been marked as junk or spam.
All incoming email is checked for viruses and we have measures in place to block most junk email before it hits your Inbox but occasionally genuine email sometimes slip through the filters. There are some basic tips on our junk mail support pages to help you to manage your mail effectively in Office 365.
IT Services will never ask for your QMUL password details.
If you have any problems with junk mail or spam, please call the IT Service Desk on 020 7882 8888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Oops! I didn’t mean to delete that
If you have accidentally deleted an email you have 14 days to recover it (and you don’t even have to call the IT Service Desk). Instructions are available on our email support pages.
Before you send…
Here are some simple rules to help keep you on the right track when sending email (further details are in our Policies page):
- Take care that you address the email correctly
- Do not use email for the creation or transmission of any material:
- that is offensive, obscene or indecent
- with the intent to defraud
- that is defamatory, harassing, threatening, discriminatory or illegal
- that infringes the copyright of another person
- Do not send unsolicited bulk, commercial or advertising material to others (spam)
- Do not allow anyone else to send email from your account (you will be held liable for any email or activity from your account) and do not send email purporting to come from someone else
- Do not tell or email anyone your password - IT Services staff will never ask you for your password
- Do not open attachments from unknown sources - always virus scan a document received as an attachment in an email before opening it
- Do not send confidential or restricted information in plain text (unencrypted) email.