- Service Group: Help, Support, and Policy Service
- Users: Staff
The staff desktop service provides managed desktop and laptop computers to staff in a systematically managed and supported environment. Centrally managed application distribution provides a core application set and other commonly used applications at current versions. Many business applications are made available through this service. Patching and security updates are automated. Centrally managed file services and computers provide the ability to use any managed computer, not just the one at your desk and have your files available to you. Remote working is available with the managed staff service. More information can be found here.
This service is available to all staff that have been migrated to the ITS centrally managed service which includes all of Professional Services and a number of Academic schools. Guide to current service offering - Guide to current service offering [PDF 196KB]
The service is based on providing a device of choice for users* from a standard IT Services offering, through leasing agreements with suppliers Dell and Apple, supported by a centrally managed service. Schools and Institutes are asked to give sufficient notice to ensure on-time delivery – we ask that you allow 20 days for ordering, building and installation of a device.
*Funding of devices for PhD students and pooled/loan devices (e.g. laptops) in a School/Institute office are funded by the School or Institute.
Collection or Courier
Should the end-user want to collect, or arrange for a courier to collect, the device for home use, then Campus Support are available between 9am and 5pm in G.15 in Francis Bancroft, Mile End Campus.
We request that they arrange a date/time through the IT ticket or the ITS Service Desk.
Note that we are unable to offer packaging services – this needs to be organised by the person requesting the service or via the courier company.
Where a device is either no longer fit for purpose, or beyond economical repair, IT Services will replace on a like-for-like* basis. Where a user then requests an upgrade/higher specification (e.g. additional RAM to run memory intensive applications, screen quality, accessibility) from the standard IT Services’ offering**, this must first be approved by the School/Institute Manager and funded from the School/Institute budget.
*desktop PC; laptop; Mac device
**The standard support and desktop provision from IT Services is for one device per user.
Should there be a need for a device to be used both in the office and at home/other locations we promote the laptop, docking station and monitor solution in the office. Please refer to the service catalogue to view the standard range of models available. Note: if the user has access to the central File Store, the QMUL policy is that documents and files should be stored centrally, NOT on the device hard drive for security reasons – this therefore should not necessitate the need for higher capacity storage.
Example 1: Starter in a newly created role
IT Services will provide the current standard device which is a Dell All-in-One desktop, unless a specific request is made for a higher specification Dell, Dell laptop or current standard Mac device.
Should a higher specification Dell or Mac model be required any additional cost must be approved by the School/Institute Manager and funded from the School/Institute budget.
Exmaple 2: Starter in a replacement role
The replacement member of staff should ideally take the previous incumbent’s device. Should the replacement require an alternative device or an upgrade (e.g. additional RAM) this should be requested in advance, and any additional cost must be approved by the School Manager and funded from the School/Institute budget.
Before ordering please ensure the user familiarises themselves with the following Health and Safety Display Screen Equipment (DSE) policy and guidance:
What is included with the Staff Managed Desktop?
Each PC/laptop uses an Intel i7, quad core processor, with a minimum of 8GB RAM (more available upon request) and either a 128GB (desktops) or 256GB (laptops) SSD drive, with optional DVD R/W and USB 3.0 ports for connections of memory sticks and other supported peripherals. PCs run Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit). Printing is also provided via the Central Print Service.
Software provided on the Staff Managed Desktop Service falls into two categories, standard software which is installed on workstations by default, and optional software. Optional software includes specialised applications and applications which are not used by most people. Licences may need to be purchased for some items.
• Microsoft Office Professional 2013 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Publisher, OneNote, Skype for Business)
• Web Browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome)
• Adobe Acrobat Reader (includes British Library FileOpen plugin)
• Media Players (Windows Media Player, VLC)
• Antivirus/Antimalware software (Microsoft Endpoint Protection)
Examples of software that is available on request
• Microsoft Visio
• Microsoft Project
• Microsoft Office Mix plugin for PowerPoint
• Stats packages: SPSS, Stata, Genstat
• Putty SSH client
• Oracle client
• Adobe CC products (Audition, Encore, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver etc.)
• Adobe Acrobat Professional
• DDS software including Zoomtext and Jaws
• Claro Read (assistive software for reading and writing)
• Maths software including Matlab, Mathematica & Maple
• Esri ArcGIS
• Dragon Naturally Speaking
Several applications that have not been listed here are available. Please email the IT Service Desk for more information.
How to request this services
Self-service: Service Desk
How to Request a Replacement
A request for replacement should ideally be made by the School/Institute Manager via Service management tool clearly indicating if the current device can be removed. By doing so, it is assumed that School Manager approval is given and negates the need for the Service Desk to forward for approval. Should the process of ordering in a School/Institute be undertaken by someone other than the manager, then please include the manager’s emailed confirmation.
A member of Campus Customer Support (CCS) will be in touch to make arrangements for installation/replacement. Where local IT support is available, CCS will liaise will liaise with them.
How to request additional software
Requests for additional software applications can be done via our IT Service Desk by emailing email@example.com. Please allow a minimum of 15* business days to perform software evaluation and installation. Requested software must be tested by the person requesting the software or somebody with the appropriate skills to carry out the required tests at least 5 business days before the intended use.
Software request should include the following:
• Software Title
• Business requirements for the application (What is its purpose)
• Software installation media or web link that the software can be downloaded from
• Software licensing information (what are the terms? is there a license file? or key?)
• The number of users of the application, as well as a nominated person(s) for pilot/User Acceptance Testing (UAT) ,
• Make, model and service tag of the computer to be used for UAT
• Any specific custom configurations required for the application (e.g to use special hardware)
• If similar alternative software of the same type is already available via the managed service, justification for your new app will need to include reasons that the current alternative does not meet your requirements.
* Please note that although a period of 15 business days is given as a minimum, packaging software for managed deployment and installation can sometimes involve a substantial amount of technical work, which work might result in the installation taking longer than 15 business days. It is advisable to inform IT Services as soon as practically possible prior to the anticipated initial use of the software.
NOTE: IT Services are obliged to evaluate the software to ensure that it doesn't violate any of our security policies.
Desktop related requests should be made 20 working days in advance
There is no cost to the end user for this service, but it is a role based service so will need local approval prior to requesting access.
Hours of Service: 24/7/365
Supported Monday to Friday 8am–6pm (excluding bank holidays and university closure days).
This service is dependent on Infrastructure Services