Skip to main content

IT Services

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a blended model of teaching?

For our first semester we will offer world-class online provision, supplemented by face-to-face campus-based educational activities for those who are able to travel to our campuses. All face-to-face educational activities will have undergone risk assessments to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our students, staff and the wider Queen Mary community our top priority.

What IT equipment will I need for my studies?

To access all the support and learning technologies that are available we recommend that you have the following equipment:

  • A laptop or desktop PC with a camera, microphone, internet access. The computer you use does not usually need to be a high specification, but should comfortably run IOS or Windows10. If your computer was new within the last 4-5 years, it should enable you to access the primary applications listed here.
  • A laptop is recommended as laptops are better enabled for completion of assignments and engagement in the digital learning environments.  Laptops also enable learning from home, on campus and during travel to and from campus.
  • A reasonably fast and reliable internet connection is required to participate in online tutorials and lectures.  If your internet connection at home is not very good consider whether you can use an internet connection somewhere else (for example a workplace, library or friend’s house dependent on the Government’s latest guidance) when you need to study online or join an online tutorial. If you are moving into new accommodation don’t forget to ask about the availability of wifi.
  • A headset or earphones with a microphone. To more fully participate in online tutorials, you’ll need a headset with a microphone. You might be able to use a built-in microphone if your computer has one, but you’ll be able to hear, and be heard, more clearly with a headset.

Can I use a tablet?

We recommend using a laptop or PC computer for all university work and assignments to ensure you have the best access to resources. 

Can I use my phone?

We recommend using a laptop or PC computer for all university work and assignments to ensure you have the best access to resources. 

What can I do if I don't have access to a laptop or PC computer?

Queen Mary offers a hardship fund for exceptional or unforseen costs. You may be eligible for help from the financial assistance fund. Information can be found here.

Can I access Microsoft software with my Queen Mary account?

Yes, you have free access to Microsoft Office Suite and you can follow this link to step-by-step video guide here.

Can I access a Queen Mary desktop from home, to use specialised software?

Yes, you can, please follow this link for further information.

How will you support students without access to IT facilities?

We have existing arrangements for Laptop Loans available through Queen Mary Library (service re-opening dates TBC)

We are re-configuring our campuses – including our lecture theatres and other learning spaces, our libraries, and our study and social spaces – to make sure that we can all maintain social distancing and the hygiene standards necessary to mitigate the risk of coronavirus. A number of study desks in different locations on the Mile End Campus are now available to book here

Can I access other pieces of software, such as Prism or Origin Pro?

A list of a free or discounted software can be found here.

You can also access a large number of specialist software using our AppsAnywhere service, more information here.

What should I do if I do not have a reliable internet connection?

The University will not provide financial support for students to enhance their broadband package. There is information here on how to get the best out of existing internet connectivity here.

What should I do if I have a disability or diagnosis that affects my working from home?

You can contact Disability and Dyslexia Service (DDS) services and they will work with you to determine the support

What should I do if I do not have a reliable laptop, PC or other equipment?

Please refer to IT Equipment WFH policy [PDF 867KB] for more information.

Are socially distanced study spaces available?

Yes, they are and you can book them online here.

Is captioning enabled for the lecture’s recordings?

We have purchased a licence for captioning service for Qreview. Various captioning tools are also available in Microsoft365 applications – you can find more information here.

What is the e-learning unit?

The E-Learning Unit provides educational support and direction for e-learning applications and engages with staff and students across all levels of the institution. We can help you with support, training or advice on anything regarding the use of technology in teaching and learning – simple or complex, individual or faculty-wide, technical or pedagogic. Full information on the services ELU provides, along with case studies and guides can be found here.

If you are unable to find the answer you are looking for, please chat to us. We welcome any suggestions you may have.


Return to top