Creating a rule in Outlook
1. Launch Outlook.
2. Click on File > Info > Manage Rules & Alerts.
3. When the Rules and Alerts dialog box is displayed, click the New Rule button.
Note: The example shown below is setting a rule for unwanted emails.
4. In Step 1, click on the option labeled Apply rule on messages I receive and click Next to continue.
5. Check the condition(s) that you want the filter to apply. The example below will filter specific words in the subject.
6. In Step 2, click the link for specific words and enter the words or phrase to search for in the subject. The example below is searching for the words: shopping and bargain. Once you have entered the word click Add and OK to close the dialog box.
7. Click Next to continue.
8. When prompted for what to do with the message, check the condition(s) that you want to set upon arrival of the email. The example below will move it to the specified folder.
9. In Step 2, click the link for specified folder and choose Junk Email and click OK.
Note: If you need to create a new unwanted email folder, click the New button and follow the steps below.
If you have selected Junk Email, click Finish to complete the spam filter.
10. In the Create New Folder dialog box, enter the following information and then click OK to close the dialog box:
- Name: Unwanted Emails (or any name you wish).
- Folder contains: ensure that Mail and Post Items is selected.
- Select where to place the folder: click the folder under which you want the spam folder to be created.
11. Click OK to close the dialog box that is displaying your folders.
12. On the next three windows click Next to continue.
14. Enter a name for the rule and verify that the box for Turn on this rule is checked and click Finish.
15. The Rules and Alerts dialog box will be displayed. Click Apply to run this rule on new messages.
16. Click OK to close the Rules and Alerts dialog box.
Creating an Inbox rule in Office 365
1. Sign into your account on OWA
2. Click on the cog wheel in the top right-hand corner and select Options.
3. From the left navigation panel, under Mail > Automatic processing and select Inbox rules
4. Click on the + to create a new rule.
5. Enter the following in the new screen:
- Name: Unwanted Emails (or any name you wish)
- When the message arrives, and it matches all of these conditions: select one from the drop-down option. Select Add condition to insert a new condition for the same rule.
- Do all of the following: select one from the drop-down option. Select the Add action to insert a new action for the same rule.
- Except is to matches any of these conditions: Click Add exception if required.
6. Once you have completed all fields, click OK to save the rule.
If you need further assistance please call 0207 882 8888, our lines are open 24/7. Alternatively, you can raise a ticket.