- Service Group: Help, Support, and Policy Service
- Users: Staff
The staff desktop service provides managed desktop and laptop computers to staff in a systematically managed and supported environment. Centrally managed application distribution provides a core application set and other commonly used applications at current versions. Many business applications are made available through this service. Patching and security updates are automated. Centrally managed file services and computers provide the ability to use any managed computer, not just the one at your desk and have your files available to you. Remote working is available with the managed staff service. More information can be found here.
This service is available to all staff that have been migrated to the ITS centrally managed service which includes all of Professional Services and a number of Academic schools. The guidance for PC replacement can be found here: Guide to current service offering - PC and Print May 2016 [PDF 88KB]
Before ordering please ensure the user familiarises themselves with the following Health and Safety Display Screen Equipment (DSE) policy and guidance:
What is included with the Staff Managed Desktop?
Each PC/laptop uses an Intel i7, quad core processor, with a minimum of 8GB RAM (more available upon request) and either a 128GB (desktops) or 256GB (laptops) SSD drive, with optional DVD R/W and USB 3.0 ports for connections of memory sticks and other supported peripherals. PCs run Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit). Printing is also provided via the Central Print Service.
Software provided on the Staff Managed Desktop Service falls into two categories, standard software which is installed on workstations by default, and optional software. Optional software includes specialised applications and applications which are not used by most people. Licences may need to be purchased for some items.
• Microsoft Office Professional 2013 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Publisher, OneNote, Skype for Business)
• Web Browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome)
• Adobe Acrobat Reader (includes British Library FileOpen plugin)
• Media Players (Windows Media Player, VLC)
• Antivirus/Antimalware software (Microsoft Endpoint Protection)
Examples of software that is available on request
• Microsoft Visio
• Microsoft Project
• Microsoft Office Mix plugin for PowerPoint
• Stats packages: SPSS, Stata, Genstat
• Putty SSH client
• Oracle client
• Adobe CC products (Audition, Encore, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver etc.)
• Adobe Acrobat Professional
• DDS software including Zoomtext and Jaws
• Claro Read (assistive software for reading and writing)
• Maths software including Matlab, Mathematica & Maple
• Esri ArcGIS
• Dragon Naturally Speaking
Several applications that have not been listed here are available. Please email the IT Service Desk for more information.
How to request this services
Self-service: Service Desk
How to request additional software
Requests for additional software applications can be done via our IT Service Desk by emailing email@example.com. Please allow a minimum of 15* business days to perform software evaluation and installation. Requested software must be tested by the person requesting the software or somebody with the appropriate skills to carry out the required tests at least 5 business days before the intended use.
Software request should include the following:
• Business requirements for the application (i.e. a business case)
• Software Title
• Software installation media or web link that the software can be downloaded from
• Software licensing information (i.e. is there a license file? Is license server access required?)
• The number of users of the application, as well as a nominated person(s) for pilot/User Acceptance Testing (UAT)
• Any specific custom configurations required for the application (if known)
• If similar alternative software of the same type is already available via the managed service, justification for your new app will need to include reasons that the current alternative does not meet your requirements.
* Please note that although a period of 15 business days is given as a minimum, packaging software for managed deployment and installation can sometimes involve a substantial amount of technical work, which work might result in the installation taking longer than 15 business days. It is advisable to inform IT Services as soon as practically possible prior to the anticipated initial use of the software.
NOTE: IT Services are obliged to evaluate the software to ensure that it doesn't violate any of our security policies.
Desktop related requests should be made 20 working days in advance
There is no cost to the user for this service, but it is a role based service so will need local approval prior to requesting access.
Hours of Service: 24/7/365
Supported Monday to Friday 8am–6pm (excluding bank holidays and university closure days).
This service is dependent on Infrastructure Services