IT Services is a key enabler to the successful fulfilment of Queen Mary’s strategic goals of excellence in research, and teaching and learning. Our services support students and colleagues and range from email and internet access, to state-of-the-art teaching and learning facilities, business application software and high performance computing in support of research.
IT Services has more than 190 staff working to develop, support and manage:
- Student and staff services which are responsible for frontline support via the IT Helpdesk, desktop and audio visual (AV) support in teaching spaces and for the provision and support of central print services, PC’s, laptops and mobile devices. In addition the team is responsible for the quality of the IT service we provide, focusing on our customer relationships and requirements, manages our IT suppliers, the CopyShop, and provides help and support for events.
- Research IT services provides an IT consultancy, a high performance computing service, research data storage and specialist applications to facilitate and enhance the world-class research at QMUL. Research IT services also supports teaching of computational methods across all Faculties.
- Projects and change providing professional Project Management and Business Analysis to deliver QMUL’s IT capital programme in support of QMUL’s strategic aims and objectives.
- Infrastructure provide the third line support for QMUL, solely responsible for the design and delivery of key infrastructure services and in the majority of cases the management of the services.The infrastructure services includes networks, servers (covering Windows, UNIX and Linux), virtualisation, storage, telephony (design and delivery), audio visual equipment (design and delivery), directory services, web management, identity and access management, remote access, email, infrastructure and desktop management and support tools, creation of desktop environments and images, management of all data centres and communications rooms, backups and disaster recovery. The team ensures availability, security and responsiveness of the enterprise infrastructure services through design and removing single points of failure, proactive monitoring and capacity planning. This group plans changes to infrastructure services to improve processes by looking to exploit, integrate or improve new and existing technology.
- Applications that hold Queen Mary’s key data such as student, staff, financial and course information, and manage online processes like student registration and timetables.
For a full A-Z list of services, please visit our Services pages.
IT at Queen Mary
The Strategy Implementation section describes how IT Services will support the overall Queen Mary strategy and the resulting business change activities over the next planning period. The Strategy itself gives the guiding principles that determine what changes we are charged with bringing about.
You can search for available jobs in IT Services at: jobs.qmul.ac.uk
IT Services Management Team
- Rhys Davies
Chief Information Officer
- David Boakes
Assistant Director, Student and Staff Services
- Tom King
Interim Assistant Director, Research
- Johnathan O’Regan
Assistant Director, Infrastructure
- Paul Gallagher
Interim Assistant Director, Applications
- Katie Friis
Interim Deputy Director, IT Services